Monday, June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all !! What a joyous celebration indeed...for those who remember. I find it quite ironic that Mother's Day is a hugely celebrated day accross the globe, akin to New Years Day while Fathers Day is also hugely celebrated, akin to Independence Day in Papua New Guinea.



Some useless facts: did you know that the idea for Fathers Day was mooted back in 1909 but was only made an official celebration by President Nixon in 1972? In stark contrast, the roots for Mothers Day may be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honour of Rhea, the mother of the gods. But more recently, another US President, Woodrow Wilson, made it official on 9 May 1914.

(Note: i have absolutely no idea as to the accuracy of the historical facts presented here since these were like the top search results from Google, like you know?)



Don't get me wrong, i will be first in line to echo the sacrifices that mothers all over the world have made over the millenia. Hence the saying "syurga terletak dibawah tapak kaki ibu" or roughly translated "the path to heaven lies beneath mothers feet". This is a metaphor as opposed to a literal translation. So don't go digging beneath your mom's feet as she stands whipping up her secret recipe in the kitchen.

For me, both Father's Day and Mother's Day are extremely special. Let me start with Mother's Day. That falls in May, which is oh so close to my wife's birthday. Double celebration in May !! Now, on to Father's Day which falls in June, which is oh so close to my birthday. Double celebration in June !! I'm sure Ripley would find that rather intriguing. And the creme de la creme: Our wedding anniversary is on 26th May !!! Smack in between Mother's Day, my wife's birthday, my birthday and Father's Day. Now isn't that something.....

It is around this time of the year that love penetrates every nook and corner of our house. Not to say it is any different any other day of the year....oh man, i never learn. Men in general never learn. There are somethings that you just should not bring up. Like trying to be all sweet and romantic by saying this like ".....love penetrates every nook and corner of our house". Yes, you men know what i am talking about. And we all have played Russian Roulette with the wife. Lots of times. "Honey, do you like the dress i am wearing?" "Dear, does this dress make me look fat?" When you hear these questions or ones similar to them, head south !

But seriously, i love my wife tremendously and although i joke with her lot, i believe laughter can bring us closer together then many other traits. Life would be boring if laughter was left in the closet a lot. Speaking of laughter, remind me to tell you about my two lovely daughters first attempt at telling jokes....

1 comment:

Cake Cupboard said...

Ha!...so you can teach an old dog new trick! You're learning honey, you're learning!

I love you too - around every nook and crany - but just wait after I finish my novels and upgrade another Montezuma level. Then you can talk sweet to me. I promise I won't laugh...much.

Muuuuahhhh! Lurp you.